Saturday, July 04, 2015

Prints of the Week

The images I chose to print this week are both black and white, and fairly abstract. There goes 90% of the audience! As usual with my black and white images, these didn't have a lot of color to start with.

The first is a close up of tree bark at the Boyce Thompson Arboretum near Phoenix in Arizona. (Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.)

bark

The second was taken in one of the conservatories at the Gardens by the Bay in Singapore.

monochrome leaves

I hung them side by side on one wall. They are quite different, but somehow they fit together. Both are plants, but the bark is less identifiable.

For color prints I use Lightroom's color management (with a custom profile from a colormunki) but for black and white I tend to use the Epson 3880's Advance B&W Photo mode since it seems to do a slightly better job. The 3880 has been the printer of choice for a lot of photographers for many years. Recently Epson finally came out with a new model - the P800. It's not enough of an improvement to dump my 3880 but if you're looking for a printer (for photographs) the P800 would be my recommendation. (or the P600 for 13" wide). Canon also has good photo printers, but I don't have any personal experience with them. There are times when I wish I could print bigger, but the cost of the printers, paper, and ink goes up significantly and the printers also get too big to put on a table and require special stands and lots of space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment