Saturday, May 10, 2014

A Morning Walk

The sun was shining and I had nothing scheduled so I went for a walk by the river this morning and took some photos. Walking down the back alley I listened to the crunch of my steps in the gravel, felt the breeze on my skin and the sun on my face, and tried to identify some of the birds I could hear - chickadees, geese, crows, magpies, robins. It's great to be alive.

When I reached the river the sun was reflecting off the water so I pulled out my camera for the first of many photographs (over 500 in two hours!).

Untitled

Compared to nature, the walkway is a very hard, mechanical looking thing.

Untitled

Just on the other side of the bridge two chickadees were flitting about, one of them collecting grass. Lots of nest building going on these days!

Black-capped chickadee

Luckily the chickadee was quite close since I didn't have my big telephoto out yet. At the bottom of the path down to the river there were a pair of geese. They let me get reasonably close before swimming away.

Untitled

And then some robins. There seem to be a lot of them this year. One was finding something to eat in the mud by the shore and another was collecting nest material.

nest building

This Eared Grebe swam out from the shore as I approached. Quite the red eyes! They are apparently the most common grebe, but I don't recall seeing them before, at last not in their showy breeding plumage. According to the iBird app they are flightless for nine to ten months of the year - the longest flightless period of any bird capable of flight. A group of grebe's is known as a "water dance" :-)

Eared Grebe breeding plumage

A squadron of pelicans was on a sandbar in the middle of the river. (Who comes up with these collective names?)

American White Pelicans

For a change I had my macro lens to capture the trees flowering. They are easily overlooked, but I find them fascinating.

Untitled

Almost home I spotted this robin busy eating last year's berries.

American Robin eating berries

I also took a ton of crocus photos but I'll leave those for another post.

View all 21 photos in this album as a slideshow or overview

No comments:

Post a Comment