Saturday, April 13, 2013

What's Up Doc?

Another sighting on the way to work. I almost didn't get my camera out because I thought she'd run away, but as long as I didn't get too close she didn't seem concerned. This was between buildings at Innovation Place so she's probably used to people.

Her fur was already turning brown - a little premature this year! And instead of fresh spring greens she was resorting to eating bark and pine needles.

As usual, click on the images for larger versions.

rabbit

rabbit

rabbit

rabbit

And just because I had my camera out:

pinecone

Technical Notes

These were taken with my always-in-my-pack G12. I pushed the ISO to 800 to get a higher shutter speed forgetting this camera isn't as good at high ISO as my K5II. They're still ok, especially at small sizes on the web, and Lightroom can fix most of the noise, but I would probably have been better at 400.

I also added +1/3 stop of exposure compensation (to expose for the rabbit instead of the snow). I should have done more since I ended up adding another 1/2 stop or more in Lightroom. (It's nice that the G12 has a dedicated dial for exposure compensation so you don't have to go hunting through menus. I just have to remember not to leave it set!)

For wildlife I often wish the G12 had a longer telephoto - it's 28 to 140 equivalent. The Nikon P7700 would be better with 28 - 200 and otherwise quite similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment