Sunday, July 17, 2011

Urban Friends

I went for a run this morning and even within the city it's great to see other creatures besides humans.

The pelicans were out cruising the river. They are such beautiful flyers, although a little awkward looking taking off and landing.

A Northern flicker was out in the grass. They are the only woodpeckers that feed on the ground, often on ants. They are even known to crush ants and rub the resulting formic acid on themselves to kill parasites. I've seen quite a few of these this year.

A couple of Yellow warblers were hopping around in the bushes and trees. Such colorful little birds.

After my run, when I was sitting on a bench watching the river go by, a short-tailed weasel (aka stoat) ran across the path in front of me. It didn't seem to notice me and stopped under my bench for a moment before running a bit farther down the path and disappearing into the underbrush.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment