Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Back on the Move

The countryside streams by. A fox in the tall grass. Hawks perched on fenceposts. A deer standing motionless beside its reflection in a beaver pond Everything is unusually green for late summer. I'm on my way to Baja, Mexico to scuba dive with Shelley. It's six days by bus and train. North America is a lot bigger this way.

Supper in Edmonton. I try out the Sabor Tapas Lounge - mixed salad, figs and blue cheese, a trio of bruschettas, a glass of Malbec, and chocolate cayenne mousse for desert. The service was a little slow, and the waiter somewhat aloof, but the food was good and the atmosphere nice. I'd go back. The slowness wouldn't have been an issue if I didn't have a bus to catch.

The plan was to pick up a latte for the road, but both the Starbucks and the Second Cup are closed :-( No big deal, I'd stopped at Cafe Sola on the way to the bus in Saskatoon.

The sun is sinking as we leave Edmonton. The days are getting shorter as summer passes.

The buses aren't full and I have two seats to myself the whole way - more comfortable if not so energy efficient.

Kamloops is foggy and quiet at 6 am. I cross the acres of empty parking lots to reach the Starbucks. This early I even snag the comfy chair :-) Afterwards, waiting for the bus, I watch a Clarks Nutcracker feeding in a pine tree beside the station.

I have almost five hours in Vancouver between buses. I walk down the north side of False Creek to Yaletown and have lunch at Provence. The antipasti looks interesting so I have lentil tofu salad, risotto balls, and peppers stuffed with goat cheese. A harbor seal pokes his head up and looks around then disappears. I take the Aquabus across to Granville island, wander through the market, get a chocolate almond croissant from the French bakery and head over to Pedros for coffee.

It was cloudy and cool earlier but now it's cleared, the sun is out and it's warm. People are feeding the pigeons and ducks and Canada geese. I say hello to the turtles in the pond. The great blue heron is in its usual spot.

When I get back to the train station there's a farmer's market set up. I enjoy wandering through.

The last leg to Seattle is uneventful other than the excessive air conditioning. It seems to be way too common to freeze to death on buses. I start to think it's just me but everyone else is putting on their sweaters and jackets too. The driver always says "if you're too hot or cold just let me know" but I've tried and it's never made any difference, so I've given up. The AC seems to have only one setting - full blast.

It was almost 9 pm by the time I got to Seattle. I'd booked a different hotel this time - the Executive. It was cheaper but got good reviews so I thought I'd give it a try. The building is older and the rooms basic but it seems nice enough.

It was almost 9:30 by the time I checked in so I asked where I could get something to eat. The clerk must have judged me by my backpack - she suggested Subway or ordering pizza delivery. I went across the street to Sazerac and had a nice sweet potato soup and apple and cheese salad with a glass of Oregon Pinot Noir. I think that beat her suggestions!

Next stop is bed. It's been a good trip so far, but I'm tired. Tomorrow morning I get on the train for a 40 hour ride to San Diego.


  1. Talk about breaking down the stereotypes - gourmet food and taking the bus across North America! Way to go.

  2. Sounds like FUN!!! Have a good trip!!!

  3. Sounds like a good time!

  4. Ya, I'm missing out on all that yummy sounding food by flying across N.A.!