Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Carmel Mission

Looking for somewhere to stay close to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and Sand City we ended up in Carmel (at Vendange) which turned out to be a good choice. Monterey is quite touristy with the aquarium and Cannery Row (of Steinbeck fame). Carmel was quiet but still had some good restaurants. We even managed to make it out for a run in the nearby park. (Although us flatlanders aren't used to the hills.)

We spent part of a morning (before flying) at the Carmel Mission where I spent most of my time taking photos of the flowers and insects :-)

Painted Lady butterfly

For a change I managed to get decent shots of both the top and underside of this butterfly. I think it's a Painted Lady (one of the most common)

Painted Lady butterfly

The bees were also visiting the flowers. They were hovering, giving me a chance to catch them in midair.

bee approaching flower

bee on flower

They're not quite as colorful, but I still like the shapes and patterns of the agaves:

agave plants

I even found a snail hiding in one:

snail on agave

Given my fascination with water I had to take some photos of the fountain. I like the way this one turned out. (backlit, of course)

fountain

Bougainvillea is always a favorite:

window and bougainvillea

And just to prove that I was actually at the Mission:

Carmel Mission

See all 21 photos

No comments:

Post a Comment