Saturday, June 17, 2017

Photos of the Week

Untitled

Now that summer is (more or less) here, there's lots of living things to take pictures of. It's hard to walk to and from work without a few stops for photographs.

I'm told these little orange flowers are Scarlet Mallow, a native prairie plant. I noticed lots of them at Pest Hill when I was out kiting with my paraglider. Nice that a native plant has survived here.

Scarlet Mallow

I always feel a little guilty photographing big showy flowers. But eye candy like that is such a tempting target. I come by it honestly, my father loved to photograph flowers as well. Of course, their attractiveness is "by design", flowers evolved their flashy outfits to attract pollinators.

Milkweed (?) flower

Bachelor Button flowers

Irises are a favorite.

Iris flowers

Iris flowers

Iris flower closeups

Innovation Place runs its sprinklers early in the morning before I arrive, which is nice because I like the way the drops of water sparkle on the greenery. (Easier to see if you click on the photo to view it larger.)

water drops

A pair of Mallard ducks have been hanging around the pond at Innovation Place. They were sleeping peacefully until I got a little too close for their comfort. The male quacked at me for disturbing them.

Mallard duck complaining

They moved over to the island, safely out of the way of the annoying human. The female (on the left) is already getting back to sleep while the male keeps an eye on me.

pair of Mallard ducks

At this point I noticed the good reflections. This next shot is actually flipped upside down, but it's hard to tell.

reflections

See all 28 photos

No comments:

Post a Comment