Saturday, April 29, 2017

Chipmunks and Chickadees

Chickadee

Last week when I was out running I stopped to look at the buds on a tree. I jumped when something moved right in front of me. It was a chipmunk. Then something else moved and I realized there was also a chickadee within arms reach. Then I noticed that there were several bird feeders. A few days later I returned with my camera.

At first, I thought I was going to be out of luck. There were no birds or chipmunks in sight. But I had brought some sunflower seeds and I filled up the empty feeder on the log. I hung out for a while, thankful that I had dressed warmly since it was barely above freezing. While I waited I took a few shots of the trees flowering.

trees flowering

My patience was rewarded when some of the "local" showed up.

chipmunk

chipmunk

and proceeded to "stuff their faces", in this case literally!

chipmunk

chipmunk

The chickadees and red-breasted nuthatches also visited the feeder although not at the same time as the chipmunks. The chickadees were entertaining when they would hold a sunflower seed between their feet and hammer it with their beak to get the seed out.

Red-breasted nuthatch


This nuthatch seems to be missing an eye, although it seemed to still be managing.

There was also a hanging feeder that the chipmunks couldn't reach.

Red-breasted nuthatch

Red-breasted nuthatch

Chickadee

Chickadee

See all 26 photos

No comments:

Post a Comment