Monday, February 27, 2017

White-lined Sphinx Moth

Filling up with gas in Alamo, Nevada I happened to look down and saw a moth half hiding under the gas pump. Of course, I grabbed my camera :-) It took a little nudging to get the moth out from under the pump. It was still alive but not very active. Looking it up later it appears to be a White-lined Sphinx Moth, also known as a Hummingbird Moth. (But not the same as the Hummingbird Hawk-Moth I saw in Europe.) They are listed as abundant but I don't recall seeing one before, or at least not well enough to identify. They have a large range extending from Central America to southern Canada.

I suspect this one was attracted to the lights of the gas station at night.

White-lined Sphinx Moth

White-lined Sphinx Moth

The pink part only shows when the wings are open. For some reason this moth was opening its wings, perhaps wanting to fly away, although it didn't seem healthy enough for that.

White-lined Sphinx Moth

White-lined Sphinx Moth

Nice to encounter a piece of nature even in as mundane a place as a gas station.

No comments:

Post a Comment