Sunday, September 21, 2014

Fall Color

In the last few days the trees have abruptly changed color and started dropping their leaves. We don't get the brilliant reds that highlight fall colors other places, mostly just shades of yellow, but it's still pretty (other than the reminder that winter is coming!)

Untitled

The berries also add spots of color against the greens and yellows and oranges.

Untitled

But most of this set are actually flowers. Despite the descending night time temperatures some flowers are hanging on. On the way to work, or heading out for a morning run, I kept noticing some flowers just down the back alley that catch the morning sun. Before the farmers market yesterday I took my camera out to see what I could do. Frustratingly, it was too early and the sun hadn't hit them yet. But right next to them were some sweet peas that were just starting to catch the light. My mother loved sweet peas and we always had some in the garden and often in a vase on the kitchen table.

sweet peas

sweet peas

Here's the Allium (at least I think that's what it is - the same genus as onions and garlic). This is before it got the sun, but the soft light is nice.

Untitled

I was soon distracted by some flowers across the alley were in the sun.

Untitled

I was surprised that the Borage still had flowers. I'd seen them earlier in the summer, but lost them among the greenery. I think it's cool that the flowers start out pink and then change to blue as they mature.

Borage

By now I'd dawdled long enough for the sun to reach the Allium. Ironically, since that's what I'd come out for, I think I like the shot in the shade better! What's your preference?

Untitled

Some of the flowers were past their prime, but still interesting.

Untitled

These were all taken with the little RX100

See all 23 photos as a slideshow or overview

No comments:

Post a Comment