Sunday, March 23, 2014

Print of the Week

This photo got a good response from Shelley and on 500px and it seemed suitable for a big print so I thought I'd give it a try.

We were hiking the overlook loop at Dead Horse Point State Park near Moab and the trail went by this tree, a Utah Juniper. The trail was a bit lower than the base of the tree so I could shoot upwards to isolate the tree against the sky. And it didn't hurt that the sky had a few clouds to make it more interesting. The tree itself had an interesting trunk, and unlike many of these junipers, it had a fairly simple shape. As usual, I grabbed my shots fairly quickly so Shelley didn't get too fed up waiting for me!

Utah juniper

I printed it 16 x 20 on Exhibition Fiber and I think it came out quite well. As always, if anyone is interested in a print of one of my photos, let me know.

When I went to print it I found that it wasn't as sharp as I'd like. I went back to my originals to see if I had taken another shot that was sharper. Luckily I had thought about the depth of focus at the time and taken another shot at f16 which was significantly sharper. (Although I hadn't paid attention to the shutter speed, which ended up at 1/90th, a little slow for handheld. If I had noticed I probably would have bumped this up and shot at ISO 400 instead of 200. The shake reduction system helps in getting away with this kind of thing.)

See all my print-of-the-week posts

No comments:

Post a Comment