Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Springs Preserve 2

When I'm traveling and I visit zoos, aquariums, botanical gardens, etc. I make a habit of buying yearly memberships. Not because I'm likely to be back often, but because I like to support them. And sometimes there are some perks associated with membership. At Springs Preserve, one of the perks is that you get to visit the outdoor areas starting at 8am, although they don't officially open till 10am. So on the day we were leaving Las Vegas we stopped at the Preserve early to wander around when it was quiet. And, of course, I took a bunch more photos. We saw a few more birds this time, including a couple of Canada Geese - nice to hear that familiar honking.

Untitled

Red-shafted Northern Flicker

I love the bee that I accidentally caught in this photo. It was probably feeding on the same flowers as the hummingbird. Amazing that the long telephoto picks up a bee at 50 feet.

Anna's Hummingbird

The hummingbirds colors are actually iridescence, so they only show up when the light is from the right angle. Notice the red head in the above photo, but black in the below photo (same hummingbird).

Anna's Hummingbird

The hummingbird kept returning to perch in the same tree so I could get a decent shot of it.

Untitled

See all 23 photos as a slideshow or overview

No comments:

Post a Comment