Sunday, September 22, 2013

Bow Lake Sunrise

"Photography is not about the thing photographed.
It is about how that thing looks photographed.”
- Garry Winogrand
magic mountain 1
(click to view 13 photos)


After meeting up with Shelley in Lake Louise on our last trip, we spent the night at Num-Ti-Jah Lodge on Bow Lake. We'd stayed here once before quite a few years ago and enjoyed it.

Despite a good supper in the lodge restaurant accompanied by a bottle of wine, I managed to drag myself out of bed early to take photos around the lake during sunrise. It was cold (-5c) so I put on a warm jacket and toque but I should have put on some gloves - my hands froze. (bringing back memories of ice climbing!)

There were several other people out taking photos, all of them with tripods. As usual, I didn't get out my tripod, but I did use my new Jobu Designs monopod. The other photographers were set up waiting for particular shots but I'm much more of an opportunist, preferring to wander and see what catches my eye.

It was a beautiful morning but I wasn't sure I'd made any great images. Glancing through them after downloading to the computer, I still wasn't too impressed, which is partly why I haven't processed them till now. But going through them again, I find there are a few that I quite like.

No comments:

Post a Comment