Saturday, April 24, 2010

Via Rail Takes the Cake

The "cup" cake that is.

I have a thing about not using paper cups. It's a tiny thing, but it's easy to use a travel cup and I hate to see the trash full of disposable cups.

It really bugs me when coffee places refuse to use my travel cup - like Amtrak or some airport places.

So I was happy when I went to get tea on the VIA Rail train back to Saskatoon and they happily used my travel mug.

As I left I noticed the steward throw a disposable cup into the trash. I thought it was a little odd, but assumed it must have been a dirty cup left over from someone else. But no, the next time I paid more more attention and again, after filling my travel cup she threw a clean disposable cup into the trash. My guess is that they're using the cups as a way to track how many drinks are sold. Argh!

I'm not sure if this is official procedure or just this person's method. I considered suggesting that it perhaps wasn't the best procedure, but I was pretty sure that would go over like a ton of bricks.

As I walked back to my seat I passed the rack of brochures about how "green" VIA Rail is. Sigh.

3 comments:

  1. That's appalling. I hope you complain to Via Rail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty bad, and I'm sure your right that it would have went over with her "like a ton of bricks".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:07 AM

    Definitely defeats the purpose. Just so you know, I'm following up on this...

    Vivian is Virtual
    VIA Rail's tour guide

    ReplyDelete