Saturday, February 20, 2010

Machu Picchu

Machu Picchu is pretty awesome, my photos don't do it justice. When we arrived after five days on the Inca Trail all Shelley and I wanted to do was get her father back down to civilization. We passed through the ruins but didn't really pay much attention to them. And after being on the trail the hordes of people were a bit of a shock. (Thank goodness this was the low season!)

Thankfully we had allowed for a second visit the next morning and that's when I took these photos. (And some by Shelley.) One of the advantages of the large size of Machu Picchu is that it is possible to get away from the crowds if you wander off the beaten path. Unfortunately, I had picked up some stomach problems and wasn't feeling my best. I spent much of my time sitting in one spot while the others hiked around. That wasn't all bad though, it was nice to just sit and absorb the feel of the place. It's a spectacular location with a fantastic view. Hard to imagine all the work that must have gone into building it. And hard to imagine what it would have been like to live here. (Preferably as one of the Inca nobility and not one of the peon workers!)

Machu Picchu

This batch of photos pretty much completes our recent trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment